Back To School Breakfast Ideas September 9, 2021
These quick and easy breakfast ideas can be made ahead or on the go, making them perfect for busy school or work mornings.
From light and fluffy pancakes that only require 3 ingredients, to a super boost smoothie that can be sipped on the school bus, here are four back to school breakfast ideas that’ll make mornings fun!
Back to School Muesli
Loaded with fibre, oats are a brilliant brain food for kids. They’re also are good sources of vitamin E, B-vitamins, potassium and zinc, which make our bodies and brains function at full capacity. Perfect back to school fuel.
- 1 eating apple
- 100 g dried fruit
- 200 g porridge oats
- 1 heaped tablespoon flaxseeds
- 500 ml unsweetened almond milk, or regular milk
- 1 large ripe banana
- 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 handful of mixed nuts
- 2 handfuls of fresh raspberries or blueberries, or a mixture of both
- runny honey, optional
- You will need: 6 portable containers with lids, plus spoons
- Coarsely grate the apple on a box grater, transfer into a bowl. Add the dried fruit, oats, flaxseeds and milk, then mix well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or beeswax wrap and leave in the fridge overnight to soak.
- In the morning, or when you are ready to assemble your breakfast, give the soaked muesli a good stir, and divide between your containers. Peel the banana and slice it at an angle.
- Top each container with some sliced banana, then add a spoon of yoghurt on top (this will stop the banana from turning brown in transit). Roughly chop and sprinkle over the nuts, along with the berries.
- Drizzle with a little honey (if using), then pop the lid on – don’t forget to take some spoons!
3 Ingredient Pancakes
Strawberries, cherries, blueberries, blackberries are a great source of omega-3 fats. In general, the more intense the colour, the more nutrition in the berries. Berries boast high levels of antioxidants, especially vitamin C, which helps memory development. The light and fluffy pancakes only need 3 ingredients and approximately 3 minutes to enjoy!
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- Maple Syrup
- Whisk together 2-3 (200g) mashed ripe bananas with 2 eggs to make a batter.
- Stir in 25g blueberries, saving 25g to serve.
- Gently fry 3 tbsp of batter in hot butter for 30 secs – 1 min each side.
- Stack up the pancakes and top with blueberries, half a sliced banana and maple syrup
Get Up and Go Breakfast Smoothie
For smooth morning sailing, this is our go to morning recipe. We love swirling peanut butter through our smoothies for a beautiful marbled effect. Peanuts and peanut butter are a great source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects nervous membranes, plus thiamin to help the brain and nervous system use glucose for energy. Slurp up.
- 1 banana
- 1 big handful of spinach (35g)
- 2 handfuls of frozen berries (these keep it cool and are much cheaper than fresh berries, but fresh berries and a little ice work perfectly instead) (80g)
- 1 cup of almond milk (250ml)
- 3 tablespoons of oats
- Top with sliced banana and peanut butter swirls
- Add everything together in a blender, fill a tall glass tumbler and swirl in peanut butter at the end for a marbled effect. Top with sliced banana!
Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
Try this egg and bagel sandwich for a quick weekday breakfast that can be taken on-the-go!
- 4 bagels, sliced in half horizontally
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 tsp chipotle chilli and paprika paste
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 12 bacon strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 320 F and line a baking tray with foil. If the bagel holes are small, cut away some of the centre.
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice and a little salt. Stir in the tomatoes and set aside.
- Mix the chipotle paste and maple syrup. Put the bacon on the lined tray and brush one side with half the chilli-maple paste. Bake for 8-10 mins, until just crisp, then turn over and brush with the remaining paste. Bake for a further 5-7 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof frying pan set over a high heat, toast the cut sides of the 4 bagel bases for 1-2 mins, until golden. Remove and spread with the guacamole.
- Preheat the oven to high. Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the bagel tops, cut-side down. Break an egg into each hole and cook for 10-12 mins, then put the pan under the grill, until the tops are cooked to your liking*. Put 3 bacon strips on each base, then sandwich with the eggy bagel top; season.
Now that you have breakfast covered, let’s help you out with some lunch ideas! Lucky for you, we now have 10 minute lunch options on our menu: Say hello to our new lunch add-ons!!!