How to Make Homemade Apple JuiceOctober 1, 2020
Refreshing, simple, and SO worth making from scratch. Homemade apple juice is a great way to use up your bounty of apples this season.
It’s apple season! As we all load up on fresh, seasonal apples this fall we are going to need delicious ways to use them. From apple pie to just straight up snacking, apples are a great addition to your diet. Today, we’re sharing one of our favourite ways to use fresh apples – apple juice! Apple juice is a classic in most households and super easy to make at home.
This is a great activity to do as a family and get the kid’s involved in the kitchen.
How to make apple juice
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 16-18 Apples (variety of choice)
- Honey and lemon juice, optional
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Wash and core apples, then cut into slices (no need to peel).
2. Add sliced apple pieces to a large pot with just enough water to cover them.
3. Bring apples to a boil and let cook until softened, this should take around 25 minutes.
4. Spoon mixture through a cheesecloth or fine-meshed strainer.*
5. Mix in honey and lemon juice, then simmer again for 15-20 minutes. (this step is optional, if you choose to not sweeten your apple juice, move on to step 6).
6. Taste and adjust with extra water if too concentrated in flavour.
7. Store in a tightly sealed mason jar in the fridge for up to one week.
Fresh Tip: *Don’t toss out the apple “mush!” It can easily be turned into applesauce by pureeing with a touch of cinnamon.
To stick to the fall theme, we’re sharing another of our our favourite fall-inspired drinks. Make the infamous PSL at home with The Best Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe!