How to Cook Squash, Pumpkins, and Gourds (oh my!)October 18, 2018
What’s plump, often orange, and always delicious? Squash of course! Squash and all their Cucurbitaceae friends are at peak of freshness in the fall, but they’re not all made equal. Which should you use for soup? What’s best for pie? Discover our best tricks on how to cook squash and our favourite gourd recipes for the fall.
Now that you’re a squash expert, it’s time to get cooking! White chef’s hat, optional.
Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe
And don’t be intimidated by the idea of inviting this hefty, tough-skinned gourd into your kitchen. The only thing that ’s scary about this pumpkin soup recipe is the idea of sharing it.
What you’ll need:
- For the soup:
- 1 large pumpkin, quartered with seeds removed
- 4 small pumpkins (for bowls, if desired)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch crushed red chili pepper
- Roasted pumpkin seeds and pesto, for garnish
- For the roasted seeds:
- Seeds from 1 pumpkin, cleaned and rinsed
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place pumpkin quarters on a baking sheet, and rub flesh with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, scoop out roasted pumpkin into a food processor. Purée with 1 cup chicken stock until smooth.
- Add butter to pot over medium heat. Once bubbling, add shallots and sauté until soft, 4-6 minutes. Add thyme and cook until fragrant, another 30 seconds. Add pumpkin purée, remaining stock, coconut milk, water, cayenne, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, toss pumpkin seeds in oil, salt, and chipotle chili powder. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Some may pop — that’s okay!
- To make roasted pumpkin bowls, remove tops of small pumpkins and scoop out seeds. Rub insides with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake until soft to the touch but still sturdy, 25-30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into pumpkin bowls and top with a drizzle of coconut milk, a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds, and a dollop of pesto.
Our Autumn Squash and Pesto Flatbread features our season’s best produce on a tomato-topped flatbread. With this recipe in your arsenal, you’ll never be asking what do to with or how to cook squash again!
This Sage and Butternut Squash Risotto is so easy and like a warm winter hug. Our genuinely easy-to-follow method takes the guesswork out of this satisfying dish! Roasted squash and tender peas make this a creamy dish you’ll enjoy all year long.
A list of pumpkin and squash recipes isn’t complete without this pumpkin staple! Get ready for the best pumpkin spice latte you’ve ever tasted. PLUS it’s homemade. Grab some pumpkins and your home will be the next hot coffee shop in town.
Now that you have some fantastic ideas on how to cook squash, tell us what recipe you plan on trying next!