How to Make Black Bean BrowniesJune 10, 2020
Decadent, sweet, and packed with protein, Black Bean Brownies are the perfect nutrient-packed dessert.
Everyone has that random can of black beans hanging around their pantry. Yes, you could make a burrito bowl or a bean burger, but we say shake it up a bit. Our simple Black Bean Brownies are everything you’d want from a brownie while also being packed with protein, fibre, and iron. We call that a win-win!
Next time you’re looking for the perfect weeknight dessert or easy bake for a summer picnic, reach for these Black Bean Brownies. Ready in just 40 minutes!
With the help of a few key ingredient swaps, these Black Bean Brownies are packed with wholesomeness like black beans and apple sauce. This recipe comes together with minimal ingredients and in a single food processor! Just blend everything until smooth and pour into your baking pan. Yes, they’re that simple!
- 15 Ounces Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of apple sauce
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels (mini, divided)
- Secret Ingredient # 1: 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- Secret Ingredient # 2: 1 Tablespoon Ground Coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Lightly coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Zest 1 orange.
- Place black beans in a food processor, and process until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, apple sauce, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and ground coffee. Process until smooth. Add ¼ cup chocolate chips, and pulse a few times until chocolate is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until edges start to pull away from sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.