Easy Snack Ideas For On-The-GoAugust 16, 2018
Trade in boring chips and more-sugary-than-expected granola bars for these healthy ‘n easy snack ideas, guaranteed to satisfy any rumbling tummy.
Just because life gets busy, doesn’t mean you need to resort to questionable vending machine snacks. With just a little prep, these delicious homemade snack ideas will take you from work to the gym and everywhere in between.
1. Trail Mix
There’s no right or wrong way to compose your own nutty, seedy, and slightly sweet trail mix. But if it were up to us, we’d opt for the following:
Nuts (3/4 Cup Each): Roasted walnuts and roasted almonds.
Seeds (1/2 Cup Each): Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
Dried Fruit (3/4 Cup Total): Dried cranberries, cherries, or raisins.
Extra Something Sweet (1/2 Cup Each): Coconut flakes and dark chocolate chunks.
Not only is it easy to create your own trail mix at home (literally just toss everything in a bag), but it’s far less expensive than buying the store-bought kind. Oh — and if you do decide to toss in some chocolate, be sure not to leave the trail mix in a hot car… Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
2. Three-Ingredient Cookies
Other cookie recipes may claim to be easy, but they pale in comparison to these 3-ingredient, 15-minute treats. With natural sweetness from the bananas and a punch of protein from the nut butter, these healthy cookies go the extra mile to keep hunger at bay while you conquer the day. Carpe diem? More like carpe cookie!
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
- 1/2 Cup Natural Nut Butter (Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, or Cashew Butter)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mash bananas in a bowl with a fork.
- Add oats and nut butter. Mix well.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press down gently with a fork.
- Bake until cookies are slightly browned and firm, about 15 minutes.
3. Baked Veggie Chips
There’s nothing quite like the crunch of a salty potato chip. To elevate your plain old chips from meh to marvellous, try using sweet potatoes or beets instead. All you need to do is slice your veggies into thin slices, lightly toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake until your hearts crispy content.
4. Cashew Bliss Balls
Hungry #FreshFam, meet bliss balls. Bliss balls, meet hungry #FreshFam. We think you two will get along just fine.
This no-bake, 4-ingredient snack contains all the wholesome, naturally sweet ingredients we love without the long ingredient list we don’t. But the best part about it all that they’ll give you a boost of energy without the dreaded sugar crash two hours later.
- 2 Cups Pitted Dates
- 2 Cups Raw Cashews
- 1.5 Cups Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Toppings (Shredded Coconut, Cacao Powder, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Chopped Pistachios)
- Soak pitted dates for 10 minutes until softened.
- Blend all ingredients until it reaches a dough-like consistency.
- Shape into balls.
- Roll balls in whatever toppings you’d like.
- Store in an airtight container.
5. Flavoured Popcorn
Your favourite movie night snack is officially getting a makeover. Whip up some popcorn in advance, toss it with your favourite sweet or salty toppings, and bask in the knowledge that there’s something oh-so-delicious hiding in the pantry. Our favourite combo? Cinnamon Sugar.
- 10 Cups Popped Popcorn
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- In a large bowl, toss popcorn with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Sprinkle over popcorn and toss to coat.