Our Secret to Foolproof Fritters Every TimeJuly 27, 2020
Golden and crunchy pan-fried fritters are a popular family favourite at HelloFresh – here’s our secret to foolproof fritters every time.
When cooked correctly, fritters are a delicious way to sneak in veggies for fussy eaters and can be as light or as filling as you want them to be. While traditional fritters are made with egg, milk, flour and your choice of veggies (zucchini, carrots, corn and sweet potato are some of the most popular), they can also be dairy-free, egg-free, and gluten-free!
Here are our top tips for cooking the perfect fritter, straight from our talented HelloFresh culinary team.
Ingredients do’s and don’ts
- Choose your eggs wisely! The eggs you use need to be small and cold. Larger eggs have more water from the egg white, resulting in wetter batter and soggy fritters.
- Add flour to your wet batter! Most veggies have a high water content (which we know equals soggy fritters). Adding flour to a wetter batter will give you the thick consistency need to make the perfect batter.
- Add crumbled stock cubes for a flavourful kick! Add as much as you like (or none at all), depending on the intensity of flavour that you want.
A common problem with fritters is that they’re just too soggy! And no one wants a soggy fritter. Raise your batter game by using these top tips…
- Salt your grated vegetables for 20-30 minutes prior to draw more water out of the veggies.
- Drain the liquid from your grated vegetables. We recommend using kitchen paper, and don’t be scared to squeeze firmly! You’ll be surprised how much liquid comes out.
- Gently mix the batters! Over-mixing develops the gluten in the flour, which results in a less desirable fritter texture.
- Place the batter in the fridge to rest before cooking. This will make for a nicer texture once fried.
- Adjust your batter to your dietary needs! Make fritters vegan with egg replacers or make it gluten-free by using gluten-free flour.
- Don’t be scared of oil. Make sure you add enough oil to the pan, as it will help to give crispiness, golden colour and delicious flavour to the fritters.
- Fire it up! Your pan needs to be properly heated up before cooking. The fritter should sizzle when it hits the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan, as this causes the temperature of the pan to drop, resulting in floppy, undercooked fritters.
Some of our customer’s favourite fritter recipes:
Chipotle Pulled Pork Corn Fritters
These cornmeal fritters are topped with smoky chipotle pulled pork for a fiesta of flavours! Served with fresh avocado salsa on the side – get the recipe here!
Savoury Corn Fritters
A traditional sweet and savoury snack from the Southern US. Paired with a citrusy avocado-tomato salad and dollops of creamy cilantro crema. Get the recipe here and don’t forget to follow our fritter tips above!
Looking for more summer snacks?
We’re at the start of corn season in Canada and we think that calls for a celebration! It’s the time of year for the sweet, juicy golden corn that’s worth eating at every meal! Grilled, buttered corn is great but it’s always fun to change it up from time to time. Try these 5 ways to use corn this summer.