Creative Avocado Recipes You Need to Try March 13, 2021
We just can’t get enough of the avocado. The popular fruit is something of a legend, and it has SO much potential in the kitchen. To prove it, we rounded up four delicious and creative avocado recipes for you to enjoy.
Green, beautiful and oh so creamy — the avocado is full of healthy fats, fibres, and is super versatile when it comes to meal prep. While we love an instant worthy avocado toast, don’t limit your use of avocados to a garnish. From pizza to cake, these creative avocado recipes are guaranteed to delight your taste buds.
To eat or not to eat? The million dollar avocado question.
We all hope to cut into that perfectly ripe avocado, yet the window of perfect ripeness can pass by quick. Lucky for you, we’ve got a quick and easy way to test whether your avocado is ready to eat! Just remove the stem at the top of the avocado and:
- If the stem is difficult to remove, your avocado is still unripe. Best to wait a while!
- If the cavity of the stem is brownish, your avocado is overripe or spoiled. Boo…
- If the cavity of the stem has a clear, yellowish colour, your avocado is just right!
Now that you have your perfect avocado, give these creative avocado recipes a try.
Delicious Avocado Flatbread Pizza
Pizza + avocado in 20 minutes? It’s basically everyone’s dream come true.
- 1 Flatbread
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Sriracha (or another chili garlic sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 0.5 Cups Grated Cheese
- 1 Avocado, thinly sliced
- Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Chili Flakes (optional)
- Place the flatbread in a frying pan over low heat.
- Mix the sriracha with the olive oil and spread evenly over your pita. Sprinkle grated cheese and the avocado slices. Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Crack the egg in the middle of the pita bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the pan to let the egg cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cilantro over the pizza when fully cooked. Your pizza is ready when the pita bread is baked and crispy, the cheese is completely melted and the egg white is cooked. Sprinkl3 over chili flakes, if desired, and dig in!
Baked Avocado Eggs
Eggs inside an avocado? If you’re thinking that sounds like brunch heaven, you’ve definitely got the right idea. Pop several of these in the oven and you’ll have a super easy way to impress a crowd.
- 2 Avocados
- 4 Eggs
- Smoked Salmon
- Pinch of Chili Powder
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the seed. Use a spoon and scoop out some avocado so there’s room for the egg.
- Crack an egg into the hole you’ve made. Lay the salmon torn over it.
- Place the filled avocados in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the avocados with a pinch of chili powder, a dash of olive oil and some basil leaves.
Itching for more variety? Try this recipe with bacon!
Pesto and Zucchini Tagliatelle Recipe
Avocado shines bright like a green diamond in this low-carb zucchini pasta recipe.
- 2 – 3 Zucchinis
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- 0.5 Cups Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Remove the top and bottom of the zucchini and cut lengthwise into 3 thick slices.
- Cut each slice lengthwise into thin strips, in the form of tagliatelle. (TIP: A vegetable peeler is another great way to achieve pasta-like zucchini noodles.
- Cook the zucchini tagliatelle for 2 minutes in a large pot with boiling water.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by mixing the avocado, garlic, lemon juice, basil, olive oil, parmesan cheese and pepper in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Drain the zucchini and toss in the avocado sauce.
- Season with pepper and salt. Add a dash of chili peppers for an extra kick!
Avocado Lime Cheesecake
Avocado in a dessert? It’s a yes from us! Avocado is often used to replace eggs and butter in pastries, as it helps create a soft and creamy texture. So it’s no surprise it’s perfect in our creative avocado cheesecake recipe.
- 2 Cups Graham Crackers, crushed
- 5 Cups Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1.5 Cups of Cream
- 1 Packet Powdered Gelatin
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 3/4 Cups Crème Fraiche (sour cream is a suitable alternative!)
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Limes, zested
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- Grind the crackers in a food processor. Add the melted butter and mix. Divide the mixture over the bottom of a 9-10inch springform pan. Place pan in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Mix 2/3 cups of cream with the powdered gelatin in a saucepan and bring to the boil while stirring. Remove the pan from the heat when the gelatin has completely melted. Let cool.
- Mix the avocado, crème fraiche, honey, the remaining cream, the lime juice, the grated lime zest and water with a hand blender until smooth. Pour into the cooled gelatin mixture and keep mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Let set in the fridge for one hour. Garnish with lime if desired.
While creative avocado recipes will always have our hearts, if you’re looking for more ways to inspire you in the kitchen while staying healthy, check out 10 More Delicious Ways to Eat Your Greens.